PetScanner Implanter Training Course
Our implanter training course enables you to become a trained and certified pet microchip implanter so that you can safely and competently microchip companion animals, including dogs, cats, rabbits and ferrets. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be issued a PetScanner implanter certificate proving your competency to legally microchip companion animals.
Our training course is approved by DEFRA and the APHA and costs just £148 in total per learner. This price includes:
- Unlimited access to our course materials and the implanter training manual
- Competency certificate issued by PetScanner as proof of your ability to safely and legally implant microchips into companion animals
The course can be done at your own pace and is designed to fit around your schedule and is split into two sections - theory and practical/assessment. The cost to get started is just £49 which is payable upfront to begin the theory portion of the course and start learning. Please note that this initial £49 is non-refundable should you decide not to proceed with the remainder of the course. If PetScanner cancels your participation in the course for any reason then your payment will be refunded in it's entirety.
For more information on the theory and practical/assessment portions of our course, please see below.
Once the initial £49 has been paid, you will be given access to the theory section of the implanter training course and will be able to download our implanter training manual and theory assessment questions. with the implanter training manual and theory assessment questions. You will need to read through the course materials and answer the theory assessment questions to the best of your ability. Once you have answered the questions, you will need to upload the answers in your account section of our website. You will then be ready to move on to the practical/assessment section of the course.
Once you have completed the theory assessment questions and uploaded them, you will need to pay the remaining £99 to arrange a practical/assessment session with our instructor. Once the balance has been paid, our instructor will contact you to arrange a date/time for them to come to you. Our instructor will also go through the theory questions with you to ensure that your knowledge and understanding is correct before proceeding with the practical/assessment. You will need three unchipped companion animals for this section. If you would like to be legally certified to microchip dogs, at least one of them will need to be a dog.
During the practical section, our instructor will teach you how to assess, handle and microchip companion animals successfully using one of the three animals you provide. This will end with an assessment exam where you will use all that you have learned during the course to implant two animals with microchips while our instructor observes and assesses to ensure you are competent to implant companion animals. If for any reason you do fail the practical/assessment section of the course, you will need to pay another £99 to retake this section. On successful completion of the practical/assessment section of the course, you will be awarded with a certificate of competency to implant companion animals.
It is important that you note the following requirements before proceeding:
- You will need three unchipped companion animals in order to take the practical/assessment section of the course. You may be able to find these by contacting a local breeder or rescue centre.
- You will need a clean, safe and quiet environment for the practical/assessment section of the course. A stable surface/table will be required for the animals to be placed on for examination, handling and implantation for the practical/assessment section of the course. It is imperative that the surface is suitable for being sterilised and wiped down between animals as there are certain hygienic requirements when implanting animals.
- For the practical/assessment section, you will need at least 10 microchips and an ISO-compliant RFID microchip scanner capable of reading FDX-B microchips. If you are unsure about this, the PetScanner Implanter Starter Pack contains everything you will need!